Our approach to cultural, ethnic, racial and religious diversity is about understanding, accepting and valuing people’s differences.
Diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace
Awareness and benefit of diversity
At UniCredit, we have long recognised that an equitable, inclusive and diverse workforce is vital to our business and creates a more fair, inclusive and positive working environment.
We believe that when Diversity, Equity and Inclusion work in harmony, great things happen:
- People feel respected and valued for their contributions, this directly impacts productivity
- People feel a sense of belonging, connection and shared pride, creating a positive effect on health and wellbeing at work
- People feel able to express their views and ideas which, in turn, fuels creativity, innovation and diversity of thought
- People feel their potential is acknowledged, helping to unlock talent, improve performance and levels of job satisfaction.
All of which enable us to achieve sustainable business growth and better serve everyone from clients and communities to shareholders.
Workplace diversity and inclusion in pillars
We create, maintain and protect equity and equality throughout the organization in our recruitment, development and retention processes as well as our product and service.
Social and culture inclusion is based on respect and accessibility. We promote a barrier-free and positive working environment where everyone knows and feels they have a voice.
An accessible, diverse and inclusive workplace is where talented people with different skillsets thrive. At UniCredit, we are committed to providing equal opportunities and promoting a positive and barrier free working environment that is inclusive for everyone regardless of their abilities, across our footprint. This also means addressing each unique need through relevant support structures and targeted initiatives.
We are supporting social inclusion for people with disabilities, also including of invisible one, with the identification of Disability Managers in all its countries, training courses for employees, guides on correct behaviours and dedicated moments of exchange on the topic.
Disability Employee Networks have been set up as well as dedicated working groups of colleagues with disabilities in different countries to promote best practices.
Finally, UniCredit continues to invest on digital accessibility to remove any barriers.
- UniCredit is part of The Valuable 500 – an international movement of companies and leaders aiming to put disability inclusion at the top of their business leadership agendas. UniCredit joined in 2020 at Group level and country level (Austria and Germany).
LGBTI and sexual orientation
We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive working environment where everyone can excel, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
- UniCredit signed a Global Framework Agreement with the UNI Global Union on Human Rights and Fundamental Labour Rights, including specific commitments to combatting discrimination and promoting diversity (2019).
- The UN Human Rights Office has developed five Standards of conduct to support the business community in tackling discrimination against LGBTI people. UniCredit joined in 2018.
- Parks – Liberi e Uguali: Italy’s only non-profit employers’ association engaged in Global Inclusion, with a specific focus on sexual orientation and gender identity. UniCredit’s partnership started in 2018.
Gender Equality and Inclusivity
We are committed to promoting gender parity and greater inclusion across the Group:
- UK HM Treasury Women in Finance Charter: a commitment by HM Treasury and signatory firms to work together to build a more balanced and fairer financial services industry, establishing a transparent and public positioning. UniCredit signed the charter at Group level in 2018. Discover more on Women in Finance - UniCredit (unicredit.eu)
- Valore D: formed in Italy, this is the first association of large companies promoting women's leadership and talent for the growth of businesses and the country. UniCredit is a founder member of the association since 2009.
- UN Women's Empowerment Principles: reinforcement of our commitment to valuing women’s talent and achieving greater gender balance at all levels of the organization. UniCredit joined in 2015.
FINANCIAL AND SOCIAL INCLUSION
We believe that we each play a fundamental role within society to together empower social progress.
Empowering communities to progress means that we constantly work to improve our approach to social topics also leveraging the UniCredit Foundation. Our PRB (Principles for Responsible Banking) financial inclusion and health commitment is further proof of our wish to continuously invest in our social approach.
Our goal is to grow by offering development opportunities to communities, clients and the local areas where we operate. We do this by building financial and social inclusion through targeted corporate citizenship and philanthropic initiatives.
- Foster financial inclusion and financial health of vulnerable people
- Support corporates to become more socially oriented and inclusive organisations.
- Ensure communities’ sustainable progress, with a focus on Youth and Education
- Protect categories at higher risk of being negatively affected by the transition.
Discover more about our commitment to ESG Sustainability