Skip to:
  1. Home
  2. Press & Media
  3. Press Releases
  4. 2020
  5. UniCredit and the EIB: € 400 million for innovative SMEs in Italy
Share this event on:
  • LinkedIn

Recomend this page

Thank you, we sent your recommendation to the desired recipient.

Sorry, this functionality is not available right now.
Please try with this link. Thank you.


Recipient (e-mail address):

UniCredit and the EIB: € 400 million for innovative SMEs in Italy

The bank is also confirmed as a leader in the use of the Guarantee Fund for SMEs, with over 3 billion euros disbursed to 20 thousand businesses in 2019.

With the 'Bond del Mezzogiorno' and 'Resto al Sud' initiatives, support for businesses in the southern regions is growing.



UniCredit and the European Investment Bank (EIB) renew their commitment to guaranteeing new resources to support the real economy, with a focus on innovation and the digital transformation of Italian small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).


The agreement just signed provides for € 200 million in resources made available by the EIB and UniCredit's commitment to provide Italian companies with own resources for the same amount, thus increasing the total available financing up to € 400 million.


The loans will apply to both new and ongoing projects, provided that they have not yet been completed and not already financed, with a maximum duration of 12 years. The interventions are intended for companies active in all production sectors: agriculture, crafts, industry, commerce, tourism and services; pure financial and / or real estate investment projects are excluded.


The 200 million EIB credit line regards projects of small and medium-sized enterprises located all over Italy, with particular focus on innovative companies or those that implement innovative processes and / or products.


EIB funds can be used to finance projects that have an individual maximum cost of 25 million euros and can cover 100% of the funding for an amount not exceeding 12.5 million euros for each project.


The new EIB line follows other agreements recently signed and dedicated to MidCap companies (up to 3 thousand employees) and to Italian agricultural companies, with a particular focus on young farmers.


In the last five years, the EIB resources that UniCredit has allocated to companies in Italy amount to around five billion, with more than 4,000 projects funded.


UniCredit is supporting companies that focus on innovation as a development element with other tools too, such as Beni Strumentali - Nuova Sabatini which has allowed the bank to allocate over 150 million in 2019 to companies that have purchased capital goods for entrepreneurial activity.


In addition, UniCredit in 2019 granted over 3 billion euros in loans backed by the public guarantee of the Guarantee Fund for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises, supporting nearly 20 thousand companies and confirming itself as one of the major players in the use of this Fund.


A positive trend that replicates the results of previous years, confirming UniCredit's commitment to supporting the economic system also with innovative instruments, such as portfolio guarantees or "Bond Italia" tranched covers.


Particular attention is also paid to companies in the South to encourage the growth of this area.


UniCredit is in fact the first Italian bank to have launched the "SME INITIATIVE - Bond del Mezzogiorno", a credit support measure for small and medium-sized enterprises located in Basilicata, Calabria, Campania, Puglia, Sicily, Abruzzo, Molise and Sardinia, strengthened by the presence of the State guarantee.


The initiative, carried out by the Ministry of Economic Development together with the European Investment Bank (EIB), the European Investment Fund (EIF) and the European Commission, consists of a portfolio of 300 million Euros for loans intended for companies in the Noon at discounted rates and with particularly short delivery times.


In the same territory, UniCredit is also active with other facilitation tools, aimed at supporting the emergence of new business activities, such as Resto al Sud, which records a steady increase in applications submitted. The facility consists of a 35% non-refundable contribution and the remaining 65% in a loan granted by the bank. The measure, now also extended to freelancers, is aimed at those under 46 who want to create new business realities in Abruzzo, Basilicata, Calabria, Campania, Molise, Puglia, Sardinia and Sicily.



Milan, 27 January 2020






Media Relations

e mail:

Twitter: @UniCredit_PR